TOP 12 THINGS TO DO THIS VALENTINE'S DAY
It’s easy to dismiss Valentine’s Day. It falls quickly on the heels of Christmas and can feel tacky and commercial. But dismiss it you should not. Valentine’s Day is a great reminder to shower the people around us with love. Here’s a quick list of fun things to do, buy, and see for Valentine’s Day in Telluride.
To Do With Kids….
1. Create a wall of love. I realized I’d never be organized enough to get Valentines out to all the people we love in time. So this year, my kids and I created an impromptu “love wall”, crafting Valentines for everyone we love, near and far. We took pictures of the wall and emailed them out.
To Do With Your Love….
1. Go for an evening Nordic ski. Pack a thermos of hot chocolate, a headlamp, and hit the Valley Floor. Forecast calls for starry skies Valentine’s Night.
2. Go for some laughs. The Sheridan Arts Foundation and Jeb Berrier present the 14th annual Telluride Comedy Festival at the Sheridan Opera House. Mention this article and SAF will offer locals a special Valentine’s Day discount with the Red Chair Special (two VIP seats plus two glasses of wine and a red rose) for $200. Call Kathrine Warren at 728-6363 ext. 3. The night will feature Rob Huebel, Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, Seth Morris, Scot Armstrong, June Diane Raphael, Danielle Schneider and Morgan Walsh.
3. Dinner. There are a number of great specials happening around town. One of the best is The Sheridan Chop House serving oysters and champagne and surf & turf in addition to its nightly menu. Roses are handed out to every lady dining that evening.
To Buy for Your Love….
1. Jagged Edge. Nothing says I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you like an avalanche beacon. Ortovox Beacons on sale now for $330. (Or get a whole 3 Plus Avalanche kit for $430.)
2. Telluride Brewing. Make your man feel manly with a very cool belt buckle from an very cool brewery. While you’re at the pub, pick up a growler for the two of you to share.
3. Two Skirts. One’s of Telluride’s best women’s boutiques is packed with pink. There are pink clutches from Kate Spade, large pink watches from Michael Kors, pink iPhone 5 cases from Diane von Furstenberg, pink tees from James Perse. One of the cutest new items is the cruiser bike jean from Paige—cream capri jean with little cruiser bike images on it—adorable.
4. Between the Covers. Buy your favorite bookworm some love at Telluride’s only bookstore. There are scores of love and relationship books, including The Lonely Polygamist, The Kosher Sutra, and Eco-Sex: Go Green Between the Sheets. There are also fun scratch and sniff stickers that smell like chocolate and flowers, a box of mini-cupcake recipes, magnetic love poetry, and my personal favorite, A Porn for Women Flip Book, with coupons for “Clean the House” and “Fix-it Day”.
5. Telluride Truffles. Telluride’s finest chocolatier is selling everything from sets of mini hearts to giant chocolate heart boxes. The giant hearts open so you can put truffles inside or whatever else you want.
6. China Rose. A dozen red roses at this premium shop will set you back $124 but there are more affordable selections of colored roses, orchids, and potted plants available as well. It’s worth just wandering in this Lawson Hill shop; the smell alone makes you feel in love.
7. Toggery. Telluride’s oldest store has something for everyone, much of them at “old Telluride” prices. There’s jewelry for under $30, cozy PJs and Cosabella thongs, and pink iPhone cases.
8. Scarpe. Get everything from scarves to lingerie to jewelry at this great boutique tucked on the east end of Pacific. There are fun his & her mug sets with various declarations of love on them. For the kids, there are red puppets and sets of red juggling balls.
So don’t ignore Valentine’s Day. It’s just a great excuse to love more. And as the Dixie Chicks remind us “If there’s ever an answer, it’s more love.”
Comments are closed.